If you want to change the way the world works, transform the automotive industry and positively impact others on a global scale, then Toyota Connected is the right place for you! Within our collaborative, fast-paced environment we focus on continual improvement and work in a highly iterative way to deliver exceptional value in the form of connected products and services that wow and delight our customers and the world around us. Come help us reimagine what mobility can be today and for years to come!
About the Team:
Toyota Connected is expanding our Labs Team. In Labs, you will work with other talented engineers to use Machine Learning, NLP, and other cutting-edge technology to transform the customer experience with their vehicle. From making it possible to start your car and check fuel range in the comforts of your home to enhancing the communication with our vehicles and how our vehicles communicate with each other and the world around us, Labs makes driving a Toyota or Lexus a high-class experience.
Toyota Connected is looking for a Senior Backend Developer who will architect, design, develop and participate in testing and documentation of large-scale, distributed software applications, systems and services. The Labs team is focused on creating products and services for next generation Connected vehicle systems and the team members are required to be creative in solving problems, excited to work in new technology areas and be ready to wear multiple hats to get things done. This is a highly-energized, fast-paced, innovative and collaborative startup environment; therefore, it is essential that not only the skillset, but also the personality matches such an environment.
What you will do:
- Design and develop software to develop cutting edge solutions
- Translate user stories and business requirements to technical solutions by building quick prototypes or proof of concepts with several business and technical stakeholder groups in both internal and external organizations
- Convert the proof of concepts to production-grade solutions that can scale for millions of users
- Nurture and mentor technical team to develop the solutions
- Be hands-on and lead from the front in following best practices in development, microservices design and CI/CD methodologies
- Operate in a highly-iterative Agile (Scrum) development environment and deliver significant functionality every week
- Work collaboratively in a diverse environment
- Own delivery of features from top to bottom, from concept to code to production
- Develop tools and libraries that will enable rapid and scalable development in the future
- Work closely with product owners to shape and deliver features to customers
You are a successful candidate if you:
- Are smart and can demonstrate it.
- Have 6+ years of experience as senior developer for web scale products and services
- Have solid experience in Python, Golang, Java, Scala, Clojure, and/or C++ and implemented key aspects of an end-to-end solution
- Have expertise in implementing microservices (using tools and technologies for messaging, RPC, containerization, etc)
- Have expertise in design and development using DB (RDBMS, NoSQL) and caching (e.g Redis) solutions, especially in microservices environment
- Have experience with Containerization (Docker, Kubernetes, etc)
- Have Public cloud technology experience in production (Azure, AWS, or Equivalent)
- Have the ability and willingness to manage other developers including mentoring, performance reviews, etc
- Have solved non-functional aspects of like scalability, security, reliability with cutting edge if not bleeding edge technology
- Are good about creating unit tests, performing code reviews, optimizing performance and ensuring standards for maintainability
- You can manage ambiguity and are comfortable being set loose without a lot of direction
- You are confident in expressing your point of view from a position of knowledge and experience. You are also receptive to feedback and open to revising your plans when appropriate
- We think the knowledge acquired earning a degree in Computer Science would be of great value in this position, but if you're smart and have the experience that backs up your abilities, for us, talent trumps degree every time
It will be Nice if you have:
- Some front-end development experience
- Hands-on experience delivering products or solutions that utilized Machine learning, NLP or other forms of AI - with tools such as Scikit-learn, Tensor flow, Keras, Theano / Spacy, NLTK, etc
What’s in it for you?
- Money. Money. Money. Mooonaaay! Great pay and bonuses.
- Unlimited time off. Seriously! You won’t run out of sick or vacation time here. You'll be treated like the professional we know you are and left to manage your own time and work load.
- Four months of parental leave. We want new moms and dads to have an opportunity to lose as much sleep at home as possible taking care of those new additions.
- 401k with generous company match that is fully vested within the first month. This is the perfect plan to get you into that retirement beach house in the Bahamas.
- Yearly gym membership reimbursement. We have a Toyota Connected fit club that loves plank competitions!
- Fun game room for the gamer that lives inside you! Xbox, virtual reality, and Nintendo Switch gamers live here and are always ready for their next opponent.
- Free catered lunches. EVERY. DAY. Awesome healthy lunches catered in from different local restaurants. Fridays are “cheat” days, so you can get your carbs on!
- Two fully stocked Nespresso bars for your coffee and tea fixes.
- Two kitchens stocked full of healthy snacks including fresh fruit, almonds, mixed nuts, pretzels, trail mix, and flavored waters. Nobody is hangry here!
- Waffle Wednesdays! Fresh waffles on Wednesday afternoons to get you through Hump Day!
- Bi-weekly company happy hours so you can hang with your Toyota Connected friends while different teams share the cool technologies we are using, the awesome products we are building, and celebrate accomplishments we’ve made.
- Free covered garage parking to shield your vehicle from those sneaky storms and to protect your buns from the Texas sun
- Toyota and Lexus vehicle discounts. Buy a new Toyota or Lexus and still have a fat wallet!
- No dress code! Come as you are!
Who Are We?
Toyota Connected is a new company created to infuse the power of big data and cloud intelligence into all aspects of the mobility experience so that driving a Toyota or Lexus is more personal, intuitive and safe. We create and enable technologies that delight, simplify and connect the lives of those who use our products. We believe this mobility revolution will empower our customers to use their vehicles in an array of exciting new ways. We support, celebrate and thrive on the opportunity to provide Mobility for All.
Making a connected life a more human experience takes humans from all walks of life. Toyota Connected celebrates and is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that embraces you regardless of your gender, religion, sexual orientation, skin color, age, disability, military or veteran status, big shot relative, or Instagram fame. Different makes us awesome.