Principal Backend Architect, TC Labs
Toyota Connected is looking for a Principal Backend Architect who will architect, design, and develop distributed software applications, systems and services. The TC Labs team is focused on creating products and services for next generation Connected vehicle systems and the team members are required to be creative in solving problems, excited to work in new technology areas and be ready to wear multiple hats to get things done. This is a highly-energized, fast-paced, innovative and collaborative startup environment; therefore, it is essential that not only the skillset, but also the personality matches such an environment.
What you will do:
- Architect, design and engineer software to develop cutting edge solutions
- Translate user stories and business requirements to technical solutions by building quick prototypes or proof of concepts with several business and technical stakeholder groups in both internal and external organizations
- Convert the proof of concepts to production-grade solutions that can scale for millions of users
- Nurture and mentor technical team to develop the solutions
- Be hands-on and lead from the front in following best practices in design and development of high performant microservices
- Leverage containerization and CI/CD methodologies to build a resilient and scalable system
- Operate in a highly-iterative Agile (Scrum) development environment and deliver significant functionality every week
- Work collaboratively in a diverse environment
- Own delivery of features from top to bottom, from concept to code to production
- Develop tools and libraries that will enable rapid and scalable development in the future
- Work closely with product owners to shape and deliver features to customers
- Manage a highly talented team of software engineers
You are a successful candidate if you:
- Are smart and can demonstrate it.
- Have 7+ years of experience as senior developer/technical architect for web scale products and services
- Have strong experience in Python or Golang (minimum 2 years) having implemented an end-to-end solution
- Have expertise in implementing micro-services (using tools and technologies for messaging, RPC, containerization, etc) and scaling it to multiple regions
- Have expertise in design and development using DB (RDBMS, NoSQL) and caching (Redis, etc) solutions, especially in microservices environment
- Hands-on expertise in Containerization (Docker) and Container management solutions (Kubernetes)
- Have Public cloud technology experience in production (Azure, AWS, or Equivalent)
- Have solved non-functional aspects of similar scalability, security, reliability with cutting edge if not bleeding edge technology
- Are good at creating unit tests, performing code reviews, optimizing performance and ensuring standards for maintainability
- You have experience managing people
- You have experience being involved in the business aspects of building a solution (cost estimation, pricing, contracts, vendor management, etc)
- You can manage ambiguity and are comfortable being set loose without a lot of direction. You can manage external dependencies from partners and suppliers
- You are confident in expressing your point of view from a position of knowledge and experience. You are also receptive to feedback and open to revising your plans when appropriate
- We think the knowledge acquired earning a degree in Computer Science would be of great value in this position, but if you're smart and have the experience that backs up your abilities, for us, talent trumps degree every time
It will be Nice if you have:
- Front-end development experience
- Hands-on experience delivering products or solutions that utilized Machine learning, NLP or other forms of AI - with tools such as Scikit-learn, Tensor flow, Keras, Theano / Spacy, NLTK, etc
- Money (We pay well and we reward excellence)
- An environment of A-players. We are careful about who we hire because we find that people who are at the top of their field like working around others who know what they're doing.
- Freedom to work with modern technologies in a greenfield environment. We care that you get your work done, but you will get to help decide on how we can leverage modern technologies to solve our challenges
- Unlimited time off. You will be treated like the professional we know you are and left to manage your own time and work load.
- Four months of parental leave. We want new moms and dads to have an opportunity to tend to their new or growing family.
- Benefits like 401(k) with match, gym memberships, game rooms, free food, team activities and happy hours.
Who is Toyota Connected?
Toyota Connected is a new company created to bring big data and cloud intelligence into all aspects of the mobility experience so that driving a Toyota or Lexus is more personal, intuitive and safe. We create and enable technologies that delight and simplify the lives of those who use our products and empower them to think of, and use their vehicle in completely new ways.
Toyota Connected is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates the diversity of the communities where we live and do business. Applicants for our positions are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, religion, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law.