Senior Backend Developer, Innovation
Toyota Connected is looking for a Senior Backend Developer who will architect, design, develop and participate in testing and documentation of large-scale, distributed software applications, systems and services. The Innovation team is focused on creating products and services for next generation Connected vehicle systems and the team members are required to be creative in solving problems, excited to work in new technology areas and be ready to wear multiple hats to get things done. This is a highly-energized, fast-paced, innovative and collaborative startup environment; therefore, it is essential that not only the skillset, but also the personality matches such an environment.
What you will do:
- Architect, design and engineer software to develop cutting edge solutions
- Translate user stories and business requirements to technical solutions by building quick prototypes or proof of concepts with several business and technical stakeholder groups in both internal and external organizations
- Convert the proof of concepts to production-grade solutions that can scale for millions of users
- Nurture and mentor technical team to develop the solutions
- Be hands-on and lead from the front in following best practices in development and CI/CD methodologies
- Operate in a highly-iterative Agile (SCRUM) development environment and deliver significant functionality every week
- Work collaboratively in a diverse environment
- Own delivery of features from top to bottom, from concept to code to production
- Develop tools and libraries that will enable rapid and scalable development in the future.
- Work closely with product owners to shape and deliver features to customers
You are a successful candidate if you:
- Are smart and can demonstrate it
- Have 5+ years of experience as senior developer/technical architect for web scale products and services
- Have strong experience in Golang (Go) and have implemented an end-to-end solution
- Expertise in implementing micro-services (using tools and technologies for messaging, RPC, containerization etc.) and scaling it to multiple regions
- Have SQL, NoSQL & caching (e.g. Redis) and Public cloud technology experience in production
- Have solved non-functional aspects of scalability, security, and/or reliability with cutting edge technology
- Have good experience creating unit tests, performing code reviews, optimizing performance and ensuring standards
- You can manage ambiguity and are comfortable being set loose without a lot of direction. You can manage external dependencies from partners and suppliers.
- You are confident in expressing your point of view from a position of knowledge and experience. You are also receptive to feedback and open to revising your plans when appropriate
- We think the knowledge acquired earning a degree Computer Science would be of great value in this position, but if you're smart and have the experience that backs up your abilities, for us, talent trumps degree every time
It will be Nice if you have:
- Some front-end development experience
- Proficiency in Python and/or a Functional Programming language
- Hands-on experience delivering products or solutions that utilized Machine learning, NLP or other forms of AI - with tools such as Scikit-learn, Tensorflow, Keras, Theano / Spacy, NLTK etc.
- Money. (We pay well and we reward excellence)
- An environment of A-players. We're careful about who we hire because we find that people who are at the top of their field like working around others who know what they're doing
- Freedom to work with modern technologies in a greenfield environment. We care that you get your work done, but you will get to help decide on how we can leverage modern technologies to solve our challenges
- Unlimited time off. No one is tracking your time here. You'll be treated like the professional we know you are and left to manage your own time and work load
- Four months of parental leave. We want new moms and dads to have an opportunity to tend to their new or growing family
- Nice perks like 401(k) with generous company match, gym memberships, Toyota vehicle discounts, game rooms, free food, dog friendly environment, team activities and happy hours
Who is Toyota Connected?
Toyota Connected is a new company created to bring big data and cloud intelligence into all aspects of the mobility experience so that driving a Toyota or Lexus is more personal, intuitive and safe. We create and enable technologies that delight and simplify the lives of those who use our products and empower them to think of, and use their vehicle in completely new ways.
Toyota Connected is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates the diversity of the communities where we live and do business. Applicants for our positions are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, religion, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law.