Do you want to change the way the world works?
Do you love to inspire and innovate?
Do you want to build solutions that are used by millions of people every day?
If so, we are looking for a Principal Big Data Engineer like you to solve complex problems at Toyota Connected. We are creating a new group to tackle super complex data, connectivity, and service delivery challenges that emerge when you have millions of people driving globally that demand immediate access to contextual, relevant information.
As a Principal Big Data Engineer, you will participate in the design, development, implementation, testing and documentation of large-scale, distributed software applications, systems and services. You will engineer platforms which will enable our vehicles to communicate to the cloud. The features you build will power driving experiences across the world.
The Principal Big Data Engineer is expected to provide technical guidance to the software engineers of the team. This person will individually contribute by tackling some of the big technical challenges by creating reference implementations and establishing technical excellence. This person will provide technical designs or help other engineers with their technical designs, perform code reviews, work closely with the product team and the technical manager to drive direction for the team.
- Operate in a highly-iterative Agile development environment and deliver significant functionality every week
- Provide architecture and engineering input for different technical initiatives in the organization
- Translate complex functional requirements and features into robust, scalable, and maintainable solutions within the Toyota Connected architecture
- Evaluate and make decisions around the use of new or existing software products and tools
- Mentor junior team members and interns to technical excellence
- Must interact closely with both technical and business team members of varying seniority levels to achieve a single result
- Show a sense of ownership and pride in your code, and you can make us believe you’ll excel
- Can effectively code large-scale feature sets at every level of the stack, from the database through to the UI
- Have in-depth knowledge of enterprise design patterns and proven experience with relevant technologies.
- Recent Hands-on development experience using Java or Scala
- Experienced with public cloud (AWS or Azure), Kafka, and Spark
- We think the knowledge acquired earning an BS in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field would be of great value in this position, but if you're smart and have the experience that backs up your abilities, for us, talent trumps degree every time.
- Money. (We pay well and we reward excellence)
- An environment of A-players. We're careful about who we hire because we find that people who are at the top of their field like working around others who know what they're doing
- Freedom to work with modern technologies in a greenfield environment. We care that you get your work done, but you will get to help decide on how we can leverage modern technologies to solve our challenges
- Unlimited time off. No one is tracking your time here. You'll be treated like the professional we know you are and left to manage your own time and work load
- Four months of parental leave. We want new moms and dads to have an opportunity to tend to their new or growing family
- Nice perks like 401(k) with generous company match, gym memberships, Toyota vehicle discounts, game rooms, free food, dog friendly environment, team activities and happy hours
Who is Toyota Connected?
Toyota Connected is a new company created to bring big data and cloud intelligence into all aspects of the mobility experience so that driving a Toyota or Lexus is more personal, intuitive and safe. We create and enable technologies that delight and simplify the lives of those who use our products and empower them to think of, and use their vehicle in whole new ways.
Toyota Connected is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates the diversity of the communities where we live and do business. Applicants for our positions are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, religion, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law.